I am the Chair of Hackney council Unison, representing 2,900 trade union members, and President of Hackney Trades Council that has over 7,000 affiliated members. I’ve helped lead several strikes and campaigns amongst Unison members in the last 20 years, most recently over pay and pensions. I’m a longstanding member of the Socialist Party and its predecessor Militant with decades of experience in the trade union and socialist movement; from playing a leading role in the 1990s Anti-Poll Tax struggle in Hackney, to campaigning against the deportation of asylum seekers.
THE GOVERNMENT AND COUNCILS SHOULD:
- Immediately stop implementing the bedroom tax.
- Stop all housing privatisation and council house sales.
- Renovate homes instead of handing them over to the private sector.
- Register private landlords to enforce rent controls to reduce rents, and decent standards, and deal with overcrowding.
- Use compulsory purchase orders to buy empty properties – there are a million empty homes in the UK.
- Nationalise the banks and house-building companies and introduce a programme of building hundreds of thousands of new council homes each year.
- Oppose all cuts and privatisation in the NHS.
- Fight the pernicious racism of UKIP and those in the main political parties who attempt to scapegoat immigrants as causing the ills of a failed capitalist system.
07428 778 286